Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Scarves Have It


Looks like scarves aren't going anywhere anytime soon. There are even some cute ones being sold at Walmart! Walmart is coming up I tell ya! Every store I've been too or clothing site I frequent is pairing one with just about everything. Everyone from from the oldest member of the church choir to the youngest kid outside in the church parking lot doing the jerk (ok, I am trying to be facetious here,lol) are wearing scarves. I have even seen scarves on dogs! I since they started resurfacing about 2 years ago I have collected quite a few myself.
I wore one with a gray bubble dress when I met my favorite performer, Mr. Trey Songz!
They can truly add a little pop to most outfits. So...I decided to blog about them, lol.


Scarves, which started as a fashion item many decades ago, are still highly fashionable and very popular among men and women. I've seen pictures of just about every celebrity rocking a scarf around their neck. They're more than a fashion accessory, scarves serve functional uses of protecting against heat/cold when worn around the neck, worn as a belt, or covering up a bad hair day.


Gotta educate you a little bit...Like everything else, scarves have an extensive history behind them. The history of the scarf can be traced back to Ancient Rome, when it was known as a sweat cloth. Romans used them to wipe their faces and necks(I'm sure many still do that today). Roman men eventually made the scarf into a man’s fashion accessory, they wore them as belts or around their neck. Women soon followed the fashion trend, and eventually became the gender more known for wearing scarves. The scarf was said to be initially made of wool instead. Chinese warriors used them to classify rank. The French followed suit in this trend and are probably the ones who made them more of a fashion statement. You've seen pics of little french school girls wearing a beret and scarf around their neck.


Scarves come in a wide variety of colors, designs, and styles that will complement any outfit. You can even get a scarf custom made if you desire. The prices vary from about $375.00
for a Hermes silk scarf (
http://www.hermes.com/ ) to a $5.00 cotton one at Walmart.
The scarf has come and gone. It's been apart of every decade and has always been a must have accessory in the fashion scene.


one of my favorite inexpensive stores, XXI (Forever 21), has some cute ones http://www.forever21.com/category.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=acc_scarf_gloves&Page=1

No comments:

Post a Comment