Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tyra Show: I'm 9 and I Hate My Face!..sad.



It's so sad what society has done to our minds and what we think the standard of beauty is. At 9 years old little girls are feeling ugly compared to the women they see on TV. What's even more unbelievable is that they want plastic surgery! I watched the full episode of Tyra's show today and was deeply saddened by these young girls response to how they feel about themselves...Then I thought back to when I was in first grade and how I would put a towel over my head and pretend that my hair was super straight and super long. Or when I had to play with white Barbie's because it was hard to find a black Barbie at the stores we went too. I always studied my full eyebrows, full lips and wide nose...I realize I am a victim of this standard too and it started when I was little! I watched a lot of TV. The Cosby Show and A Different World were the two main shows then that had all black casts. That was it. All the black women I knew were going with the trend of getting their hair relaxed, so it wouldn't look so nappy. It's sad how people can be so easily influenced.

The older I get, the more I thank God for the features he gave me. If He wanted me to have a slim nose then He would've given me one. It's that simple. It starts with me. I must encourage my nieces and other little black girls that I come in contact with that they are beautiful just as God made them.

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

No comments:

Post a Comment