Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Life is...Precious.

I am anxiously awaiting for the day the movie Precious comes to theaters. I read the book, PUSH (quite a few years ago), which the film is based off of. I remember the day I checked the book out from the local library. I am an avid reader and was in search of something new to read. I had not heard of the book so of course I didn't know what it was about. The appearance of the book is what got me. The book was small and red with black, bold, capital letters that said PUSH going up the side. The same day I checked it out, was the same day I completed the book, within a few hours. All 192 pages were powerful to me. From the first page to last page. PUSH is about a young, Harlem teenager who felt like she was worth "nuffin". She is illiterate, abused by her mother and father, a mother herself and HIV positive. What's so real about this story is it's written in first person, so you get to see the real Precious, a young woman searching for her voice and begging to be heard. PUSH evoked so many emotions for me. I would encourage everyone to read the book as well as see the movie.





The previews look so good. I know movies based off books don't usually include all the details found in the book, but Precious looks like it will be pretty close.

This movie is set to debut on November 6, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment