Monday, September 28, 2009

Peace on Earth and Goodwill towards men

What happened in Chicago recently to that 16 year old boy was appalling to say the least. To know that the the whole scenario was recorded and floating around the internet is disturbing. Very disturbing. Derrion Albert was hit over the head with a 2 by 4 plank in a melee in the streets of Chicago. According to Derrion's mother, he was a good kid, an honor student, definitely gone too soon. I watched the video and it made me sick, literally. I couldn't help but notice all the people who stood around spectating and not helping to alleviate the situation. Although disturbing, I hope the video aids in justice being served but more than anything I hope that the video opens people's eyes in an attempt to show them how senseless that degree of violence is. I can only imagine how the family feels whenever they get online. What happened in Chicago was not a scene from a movie where Derrion can get up after the director yells "cut!" That was real. The pain his family and friends feel is real. The sadness and turmoil surrounding that community is real. As dismal as the circumstances may seem I do know that prayer is REAL. My prayers are definitely with Derrion Albert's family as well as the guys invovled in the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment